Q: How do I enter?
A: Entry is open from February 20, 2020 – March 20, 2020. You will enter at naturalcannabis.com/highart
Q: How many pieces can I enter?
A: As many as you would like!
Q: What is the theme?
A: Magic! (and cannabis of course)
Q: Do I have to smoke cannabis to enter?
A: Absolutely not, but we love hearing your stories about it!
Q: When are the winners announced?
A: Winners are announced on April 20th via Facebook live streaming and posts. Winners will also be contacted via email.
Q: What is the first place prize?
A: $15,000 USD and a $10,000 USD donation made in the winner’s name to one of the following international charities of their choice: Amnesty International, UNICEF, PETA, Doctor’s Without Borders, The International Red Cross, or The International Campaign to Ban Landmines
Q: What are the runner-up prizes?
A: 2nd place : $5,000 USD, 3rd Place: $2,500 USD, 4th-20th Place: $500
Q: Are there additional prizes?
A: Winning pieces will be seen by an international audience. The winning entries will be featured at the High Art gallery in Santa Rosa, California and on the High Art online gallery featured on NaturalCannabis.com for one year and then remain in the gallery’s archives. Featured artists will gain exposure to an international audience, enhance their portfolio and increase traffic and links to their own websites or online portfolios. High Art promotes winning artists via product packaging, posters, email, online press releases, online event promotions and social media marketing, as well as through exhibits and displays at prestigious international art and culture events.
Q: How are winners paid?
A: Winners receive their prize monies via PayPal (you MUST have a valid PayPal address to claim a prize) in installments of $5,000 (or less, depending on the prize) within 90 days of the announcement of winning.
Q: What mediums can I use?
A: Submitted artwork may be created in a variety of mediums including but not limited to: paint (watercolor, oil, acrylic, gouache etc.), pen or pencil (charcoal, lithography etc.), digital design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchbook etc.), mixed media (collage, creative materials etc) Photography etc.
Q: What size does my artwork need to be?
A: Artists must submit a file that is AT LEAST 1301px wide x 1733px tall .jpg (resolution of 72 DPI).
If chosen as a finalist, we ask artists to submit a digital file of AT LEAST (18” wide x 24” tall @ 150dpi .jpg).
Q: Who judges the winners?
A: Winners are chosen by a panel of qualified judges to be announced soon. The public vote will choose an additional “Crowd Favorite”. There will also be “Honorable Mentions”
Q: Do I get to keep my artwork?
A: Artists maintain their copyright for their artwork. We do not ask for the original piece. You may sell or do what you wish with your artwork, it is still yours!
Welcome to High Art 2020! This year’s theme is MAGIC.
Using cannabis as your muse, your mission is to create an incredible work of art, something worthy of this year’s grand prize worth $25,000!
High Art is the only international art contest dedicated to celebrating cannabis and creativity. The contest is open to all artists, in all countries and of all experience levels!
Submit your original artwork and show us what MAGIC means to you!
All entries must adhere to the spirit and theme of the competition.
The Natural Cannabis Company and High Art panel reserve the right to reject any entries with objectional content.
SUBMISSIONS BEGIN: February 20, 2020, Midnight Pacific Standard Time
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 20, 2020, Midnight Pacific Standard Time.
Once your submission has been received, you will receive confirmation of your entry on our website.
Online voting for the Crowd Favorite award begins as soon as entries are posted on our website.
The top 30 High Art finalists will be selected and appear online March 30th – April 15th, 2020.
All winners will see their art featured at the High Art Gallery in Santa Rosa, California and worldwide at select art and cultural events. Additionally, winning images will be displayed on The Natural Cannabis Company’s exclusive High Art packaging, promotional materials and social media.
GENERAL RULES FOR ENTRY:
- Must be 18+ to enter.
- Only original artwork may be submitted. Any type of plagiarism of another artist’s work will result in immediate disqualification and bad karma.
- Artwork previously entered in High Art or other major art competitions will be disqualified.
- Each submission must include name of creator and title of work. (Name – Title.jpg.)
- Each entry must include a brief description of the image as well as a short artist bio (350 words or fewer).
- The Natural Cannabis Company shall have the right to display and reproduce accepted work for promotional purposes, regardless of future ownership, in
- both printed and electronic form.
- The Natural Cannabis Company has the sole right to refuse any submission deemed inappropriate.
- Submission of multiple original works are allowed. Each submission must be unique and adhere to contest guidelines.
- Contest is open internationally to all artists in all countries and of all experience levels from amateur to professional.
- You MUST be able to provide a valid email address linked to a valid PAYPAL account to receive any prize money or compensation.
- All cash prizes are paid in US Dollars.
RULES OF ENTRY
- Submitted artwork may be created in a variety of mediums including but not limited to: paint (watercolor, oil, acrylic, gouache etc.), pen or pencil (charcoal, lithography etc.), digital design (Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchbook etc.), mixed media (collage, creative materials etc.). Images of three dimensional works will be judged on photo composition.
- Submission file names MUST follow the format: LastName-Title.jpg
- Artists must submit a 1301 wide x 1733 tall .jpg (resolution of 72 DPI) digital file to enter.
- Artists must submit a digital file (18” wide x 24” tall @ 150dpi .jpg) of their artwork if chosen as a finalist.
- JPG compression quality of 12 (or the highest quality setting)
HOW TO ENTER:
Use this very simple template to build or paste your artwork in. TEMPLATE DOWNLOAD
Enter the contest on this page beginning February 20, 2020.
Upload your image in the form provided. Follow each step closely.
FILE NAME GUIDELINES:
- Print and Photo submission file names MUST follow the format: LastName-Title.jpg
- Please fill out the entire form and load your image before sending the upload. If the submitted images are not sized properly, your submission may be disqualified.
- The file name may not include special characters such as #, $, &, periods or similar characters.
- File names may not exceed 40 characters.
When submitting your entries, we require that you provide a short bio (350 words or fewer). Tell us a little bit about yourself; your artistic training, artistic inspiration, media choice, any special techniques used or anything you want the world to know about you. You may also include your website URL and social media links.
NOTE: All entrants will be judged on their entire submission packet, including the artist biography. Submissions accompanied by clear, complete bios will be rated higher than those with missing or incomplete information.
Every submission that is correctly entered will receive an immediate notification on the same submission page.
Judging will be conducted by a diverse panel of international artists and accomplished individuals in professional and academic fields.
The High Art competition gives artists a unique platform to express their vision of “Technology.”
Submissions will be judged on adherence to theme; whether they are creative, inspiring, provocative, or thought-provoking; as well as artistic and creative merit.
The artwork submitted to the competition will be judged based on the following elements of artistic expression:
- Interpretation and the clarity of the theme to the viewer.
- Creativity and originality in the depiction of the theme.
- Artistic composition and overall design.
- Overall impression of the art. What is the effect of the artwork in general and as a whole? Overall, does the artwork stand on its own as a complete and outstanding work of art?
20 artists will be selected to receive cash prizes.
10 artists will receive special recognition, plus one Crowd Favorite work will be selected by online popular vote.
Grand Prize: $15,000 USD + a $10,000 donation on your behalf to a top international charitable organization.*
Winning pieces will be seen by an international audience. The winning entries will be featured at the High Art gallery in Santa Rosa, California and on the High Art online art gallery featured on NaturalCannabis.com for one year and then remain in the gallery’s archives. Featured artists will gain exposure to an international audience, enhance their portfolio and increase traffic and links to their own websites or online portfolios. High Art promotes winning artists via product packaging, posters, email, online press releases, online event promotions and social media marketing, as well as through exhibits and displays at prestigious international art and culture events.
*Winning artist may select recipient from a list of top-rated international charitable organizations provided by the High Art panel.
Each artist warrants that he or she has obtained all necessary releases from models and other subjects featured in the works of art and any additional releases required with respect to names, trademarks, designs or works of art depicted in the submitted work of art and that the creation, display or distribution of the work of art will not violate any United States law.
Each artist warrants that he or she alone created the submitted work of art or if there are collaborators, they are named. Plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification. All works are checked for copyrighted and plagiarized materials.
Entries must be original works of art and not copies, derivatives or based in any way on other copyrighted or published works of art.
We will accept appropriated images as long as the original creator is acknowledged and credited and your methodology is explained.
Do not send images of your artwork which have been framed or contain watermarks.
High Art may color correct your images in order to enhance the overall presentation. High Art may crop your images for formatting purposes for use in packaging, promotional materials or other High Art presentations and for other areas of our website.
Artist agrees and understands that by submitting their artwork to High Art that they are opting into the High Art subscription email list and will receive future email announcements and notices from us. If you would like to be removed from this list, just click on the “unsubscribe” button at the bottom of the email and we will remove you immediately.
Submissions of an entry to this competition imply acceptance of all above-stated conditions.
“High Art was born from the need for creative, interesting packaging for our premium cannabis products and our passion for art.”
– Dona Frank, Natural Cannabis Company
High Art was created by Dona Frank and The Natural Cannabis Company in 2014 as a crowdsourcing solution to packaging design. From its humble beginnings, High Art has developed into an internationally-known art competition with thousands of entries annually from 100+ countries all over the world.
Each year professional and amateur artists create themed works through a variety of mediums to compete for $40,000 in prize money and to see their work featured on packaging, social media, at the High Art gallery in Santa Rosa, CA and displayed at prestigious art events, in the United States and abroad.
Stay tuned to this page for more information on upcoming High Art events and High Art 2020!