8 Sonoma County Places to Get “High” on 4/20
By Zelda Flowers
Stop by Natural Cannabis Company locations to pick up 420 specials
International Weed Day is coming up on April 20th. After you hit the local dispensaries and pick up the 420 specials from Natural Cannabis Company, get out and enjoy a spring day in Sonoma County. Here are eight favorite places where you can “get high” while you get high – that is, each location offers a fantastic view and quiet places to enjoy a smoke, toke or dab.
- Bullfrog Pond, Armstrong Woods: Bullfrog Pond, located at the top of the mountain in Armstrong Woods, Guerneville, holds many stoned memories for me. The quiet woods, lovely pond, trails and views make it a great place to relax and enjoy whatever type of natural medicine you prefer. There’s also a campground here. It’s accessible for those with limited mobility.
Address: 17000 Armstrong Woods Road, Guerneville – drive into the park and go up.
- Kortum Trail, Jenner: The Kortum Trail is a beautiful easy walk/hike that runs along the coastline south of Jenner. Park at Shell Beach and pick a direction, either way offers fantastic views of the ocean. Heading north to Goat Rock, you’ll pass a large set of stones popular with climbers. At this point the trail becomes quite steep. From the Shell Beach parking lot, you can walk down and enjoy the beach too. Afterwards, head to The River’s End in Jenner or Lucas Wharf in Bodega Bay to enjoy the sunset over a cup of chowder and a cocktail.
Address: Hwy 1 and Shell Beach Rd, Jenner
- Bodega Head, Bodega Bay: Drive around Bodega Bay, with a quick stop at the Spud Point Crab Company for lunch, and up to Bodega Head to smoke a bowl and whale watch. The Grey Whales are migrating north from now until June. The Head offers spectacular views and if it’s too windy, you can still enjoy them from your vehicle. It’s a fantastic place to watch the sunset.
Address: Westshore Rd, Bodega Bay
- Robert Ferguson Observatory, Kenwood: If you prefer to stay inland, take the beautiful drive up to Sugarloaf State Park to the Robert Ferguson Observatory. This is an incredible place to check out eclipses and comets, but it’s an interesting place to visit any time of day. Those who enjoy walking and hiking should take the Planetwalk, a scaled down representation of the planets designed to fit within the confines of the park. There are two options: a 2-mile loop with 250ft elevation gain or the full 6.3 miles with 1100ft in elevation. Those who prefer neither can just chill on the observatory deck after checking out the telescopes, photos and retail center inside during open hours.
Address: 2605 Adobe Canyon Road, Kenwood
- The Villa Restaurant, Santa Rosa: If outdoor activities aren’t for you, The Villa in Santa Rosa is one of the few restaurants that offers a decent view. It’s a totally old school local restaurant that serves early bird dinner from 4pm-6pm and happy hour drink and food specials in the bar from 3pm-7:30pm. The Happy Hour menu is loaded with stoner faves. Get really high beforehand and then stuff yourself with plates of calamari, mozzarella sticks, hot dogs, chicken wings…it’s munchie heaven! Plus, you’ll probably be the youngest hotties in the joint.
Address: 3901 Montgomery Dr, Santa Rosa
- Paradise Ridge Winery, Santa Rosa: This winery offers amazing views of the Russian River Valley and a gorgeous property adorned with sculpture and art. Head into the tasting room for tasting if you enjoy wine, or simply enjoy the deck and grounds for a while. Keep it classy, people. Consume your cannabis discreetly beforehand.
Address: 4545 Thomas Lake Harris Drive, Santa Rosa
- Sea Ranch Chapel, Gualala: Fancy a drive up the coast? Head north to Gualala and visit the Sea Ranch Chapel. It’s open 365 days a year to the public between sunrise and sunset. The grounds are lovingly landscaped with benches and nooks in which to quietly contemplate nature. The tiny chapel is a beautiful artwork to behold with handcrafted details like carved redwood benches and magnificent stained glass windows. Shells from local beaches embellish the ceiling and walls. Be discreet and respectful if you visit.
Address: Hwy 1 mile marker 55.66, across from Bosun’s Reach.
- Francis Ford Coppola Winery, Geyserville: The Francis Ford Coppola Winery is a definite crowd pleaser and a must for mixed groups. Wine lovers can wine taste, movie buffs can drool over the memorabilia from films such as Apocalypse Now, Dracula and The Godfather, active types can play free bocce in the garden while sun worshippers can lounge by the pool. Have lunch at the restaurant, inside or out on the deck to enjoy the view or for lighter fare, take advantage of the Pool Café and nosh poolside. Tasting rooms are open 11am-6pm daily; Rustic restaurant is open from 11am-9pm daily.
Address: 300 Via Archimedes, Geyserville
***Don’t forget to stop by Natural Cannabis Company locations to pick up 420 specials and find out who won the High Art 2017 competition! Winners will be announced at 4:20pm on 4/20 at OrganiCann in Santa Rosa.