5 Cannabis Documentaries to Watch with Your Buds
Documentaries are a great way to learn more about a topic like cannabis. From its rich cultural history to the cutting edge of today’s medical breakthroughs, there’s always something new to learn about. Super High Me, a parody of the docu-hit Super Size Me, may be the most well-known cannabis documentary out there but that’s just a sliver of the information, educational and entertaining docs you can watch right now.
So, grab a few friends and some top-shelf weed from your favorite Natural Cannabis Company dispensary and check out these fantastic cannabis documentaries!
- The Culture High: An award-winning sequel to 2007’s The Union: The Business Behind Getting High, The Culture High explores cannabis legalization and prohibition has well as the motives behind those opposed to and for legalization. According to the official website: “The Culture High” is the riveting story that tears into the very fiber of modern day marijuana prohibition to reveal the truth behind the arguments and motives governing both those who support and oppose the existing pot laws.”
Check it out for free here: http://www.theculturehigh.com/
- Grass is Greener: Another documentary exploring America’s history with cannabis but focuses on discussion of its influence on music, popular culture and race. Hip hop pioneer Fab 5 Freddy (Yo! MTV Raps) presents a look at the racially biased history of the war on marijuana. Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill’s B-Real, and Damian Marley are just some of the celebrities and experts who discuss cannabis’ impact on music, popular culture, and the toll criminalization has taken on black and Latino communities.
- Weed the People: A touching documentary that explores the lives of those living in the center of the medical cannabis debate. Filmmakers Rikki Lake and Abby Epstein showcase the lives of ordinary people exploring cannabis as a medical treatment for their children and challenges the existing legislation that denies them this right.
- Clearing the Smoke: The Science of Cannabis: For those wishing to find out more about cannabis from a scientific perspective, this hour-long documentary provides information on the chemical makeup of cannabis and explores the industry of scientific cannabis research. From the PBS website, “MontanaPBS’s new documentary, Clearing the Smoke, reveals how cannabis acts on the brain and in the body to treat nausea, pain, epilepsy and potentially even cancer. Extensive interviews with patients, doctors, researchers and skeptics detail the promises and the limitations of medicinal cannabis.”
- Lynching Charlie Lynch: This impactful documentary highlights just one of the great injustices caused by America’s war on drugs. Lynching Charlie Lynch tells the true story of Charlie Lynch, a man who opened a legal cannabis dispensary and now faces 25 years of federal charges. The hypocrisy and injustice exposed in this film will leave you hopping mad!
Have you watched a cannabis documentary that impacted your life? Have a great cannabis film to recommend? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t forget to pick up your favorite small-batch cannabis strains grown locally by Northern California small farms at any of our Natural Cannabis Company locations!